Blog Archive

Sunday 22 November 2015

Mercury music prize Winner Benjamin Clementine dedicates prize to Paris

Benjamin Clementine

Image copyrightAFP
Benjamin Clementine, the 2015 Mercury music prize winner for his debut album has dedicates prize to victims of the Paris terror attacks.The musician spent his early 20s living in the city, and busked on the metro as a struggling musician
The Londoner beats competition from the likes of Florence + The Machine, Wolf Alice and Supergrass star Gaz Coombes.
the 26-year-old star said as he accepted the prize,"I don't know what to say,". he then invited all the other nominees on stage to sympathize with him.
He then broke down in tears as he dedicated his award to the victims of the Paris terror attacks.
A report from the BBC News homepage claimed He told them he had returned to Paris last weekend to support friends who had been caught up in the tragedy.
Reflecting on the Mercury Prize, he said: "I always believed in my music but after Paris happened, I was very down.
"I didn't think I would win. I always wanted to be nominated for this award, but I didn't think to myself that I'd win it. I always made a joke about it!"
The musician's debut album is a searingly-personal collection of piano-based songs, which critics have called "bold", "brilliant" and "astonishing".
It touches on his turbulent upbringing in Edmonton, London, as well as the three years he spent sleeping rough in Paris.
"I made this album thinking only about 50 people would listen to it," he told the BBC. "My music isn't mainstream music.
"It goes to show that you've just got to be sincere in your work and people will listen to it."

'Impossible decision'

The Mercury Prize recognises innovative albums produced in the UK and Ireland. Former winners include Pulp, Primal Scream and PJ Harvey.
The competition for this year's title was particularly fierce, with presenter Lauren Laverne calling the judges' decision "impossible".
"They all had an equal chance," she said of the nominees.
"But that's what's nice about the Mercury. It's not something where your big artists come in and scoop up all the gongs. It could be anybody's."
Image captionFlorence + The Machine missed the ceremony as she tours New Zealand
A panel of 12 musicians, broadcasters and music writers selected the winner, casting their final votes on the night of the award ceremony.

No comments:

Post a Comment